Wednesday, August 24, 2011

You're Right, That Does Take Longer

The other day, my boss (who is extremely overweight) shared this with me:
"Ya know, the best piece of advice on dieting I ever got was to never eat anything that comes out of a drive-thru window. But I'll tell ya what, it sure takes a lot longer to walk inside and order your food."
I think he missed the point, but still, that little bit of knowledge really got my brain working.


I've been semi-obsessed with fitness and health for a few months now. It actually seems to be making the transition from "just a phase" to "part of my life," which is definitely a good thing. Something that I've noticed lately is how the small things really add up in life, especially with regards to health.

You see, that advice my boss got was actually pretty good as long as he didn't walk in and order. I've essentially cut out all fast food from my diet and even avoid unhealthy "slow" food like Chinese food. Every time I want to go out to eat (usually for lunch) I head straight to Subway. Now, Subway isn't the healthiest food in the world, but it's miles better than your average fast food and still tastes pretty stinkin' delicious! It's a little change, but it has yielded good rewards.

And so, as I said earlier, it's the little things that matter. Here's a few little things you can do to adopt a healthier lifestyle:
  • Eat Subway instead of fast food. If you have to eat at a fast food restaurant, try ordering something slightly healthier than usual.
  • Order diet soda rather than regular soda or, better yet, try unsweetened iced tea!
  • Try packing a lunch to work. You'll save money AND eat healthier.
  • Cut back the portions a little bit, fatso. Try ordering a medium or *gasp* a small instead of extra-large.
Those are just some simple ways to make small changes that could make a big difference in your life. There's an obesity epidemic in America that's going to swallow our health care system, eat up our tax dollars and, ultimately, destroy a lot of lives. Don't be the fat-ass they show waddling down the sidewalk on the news when they're talking about rising obesity rates. Don't be a statistic.

There need to be a lot of mini-revolutions in this country and a health revolution is definitely in order. I find it strange that at a time when thin bodies for women and athletic bodies for men are so idolized, there are more fat people than ever before. I can tell you with 100% certainty that in the health revolution, the healthy will beat the obese. It's sad, but true. We may not have strength in numbers, but at the very least we'll outlive our obese brethren.

Join us or die (quite literally).

0 comments:

Post a Comment