Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Top 5 - Favorite Foods

I've got some interesting Top 5 ideas coming up, but the only way I can follow up a Top 5 Favorite Beers is with a Top 5 Favorite Foods. Food is awesome. I love food like that weird guy from work who's always in the bathroom at the same time as you loves asking what you're doing this weekend. Anyways, this is an "if you died tomorrow, what would you want for your last meal" scenario. 


1. Pizza - Seriously. It's not the most expensive or exotic or original choice, but when it comes down to it, there's very few foods out there more delicious than a big, cheesy, meaty, greasy pizza. Plus, it goes great with beer!! Honestly, it doesn't even have to be a super expensive gourmet pizza either. An average pepperoni pizza will do just fine. It boils down to this: If I were eating pizza and you asked if I wanted a steak, too, I'd probably pass; if I were eating steak and you asked if I wanted a piece of pizza to go with it, the answer would be a resounding YES. In college I used to get pizza almost everyday from the cafeteria (seriously, it's an easy decision when you're choosing between mediocre pizza and 3-day old fish) and never got tired of it.

2. Chicken n Waffles - Yes. I've only had this delectable combo from one place, so I don't know if all chicken n waffles is fit for the gods, but if it's coming from Come and Get It in Fresno, CA, I really can't drop it any lower than second. It's difficult to put into words how much I like this food. Suffice it to say, I would punch a puppy in the face for a meal at Come and Get It. I don't even care what kind of puppy it is. If you haven't tried it, you're wasting your life. Stop whatever you're doing and go get some chicken n waffles. Seriously, don't even finish reading this. Get up and go right now. For those of you who have already experienced it, I'll continue with the list.

3. My mom's lasagna - My mom's not even Italian and she makes the best freakin' lasagna I've ever had. I don't know if it's authentic Italian lasagna, but I also don't care if it's authentic Italian lasagna. It's made in a way that I like to call "perfect." Tons of cheese. Tons of meat. Tons of pasta. Yet, unlike most laughable attempts at lasagna, it's not soupy. I swear if I get dished up one more soupy plate of lasagna, I'm gonna dump it on the floor and vow to never eat another lasagna cooked by anyone but my mom. You like Stouffer's? Stouffer's sucks. I used to think Stouffer's was good. After eating my mom's lasagna, I wouldn't feed Stouffer's to my dog. Shoot, I wouldn't feed it to your dog.
Tri-tip - The only reason California is allowed to be a state.

4. Tri-tip - If you don't live in California, you might have just thought, "What's tri-tip?" I'll tell you what it is - it's a California cut of meat that will knock your socks off (unless you're wearing those weird socks with the toes in them - I imagine those would be hard to remove). The only reason other states don't use it is because, really, tri-tip is the only thing California has going for it right now. Tri-tip is to California what brisket is to Texas. And it is amazing. Easy call to put it in the Top 5.




It's not my first choice, but I'd die happy.
5. Mexican food - I'm not gonna be really specific here. If it's authentic Mexican food, I'll take it. One way or another, you're getting meat, beans, and rice with a tortilla. Whether that's a burrito or a taco doesn't really matter (yes, I realize tacos don't come with beans and rice in them; it would be on the side, a-hole). Plus, in this scenario I'm dying tomorrow so I don't have to worry about getting the squishy apple quick step if it comes from less than sanitary facilities. Gotta be authentic, though. Taco Bell won't cut it. Chipotle won't cut it. If the food isn't from Mexico, the people cooking it had better be. Those are the only rules. In the event that options 1-4 weren't available for my last meal, I'd die happy if my belly was fully of carnitas and guacamole.

0 comments:

Post a Comment